GGFC v Grasshoppers on 9 November 2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Report This Message as Offensive ] [ St Augustine's Old Boys Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by webmaster on November 20, 2002 at 00:09:21:

In Reply to: Kevin Faure posted by Peter Fay on November 14, 2002 at 22:02:22:

Division Four
GGFC 1-1 Grasshoppers
By Simon Monaghan

Yet another late Sunday afternoon kickoff in the back of beyond saw the GG's struggle to break down a lively Grasshoppers side. The game itself was an anti-climax after the events of the previous 24 hours with GG's veteran Kevin Faure passing away the previous day after a short illness. Initial thoughts of cancelling the game were discarded on the basis that Kev would have wanted the show to go on and so it was that a large GG's turnout commenced the game with a minutes silence, and the officials and Grasshoppers deserve praise for their co-operation. With black armbands looking suitably sombre on an otherwise pleasant afternoon, the GG's took the game to the opposition through the tried and tested route to super striker Hutton. The Aussie wonderboy did his stuff again and soon put the GG's 1-0 up, and it could have been more had it not been for a fantastic save from the opposition keeper. At the other end the GG's defence struggled against the pace and trickery of the Grasshoppers strike force, but with Jackie Chau settling in well at the back - surely one of the bargain buys of the season! Acting Captain McGloo was true to his word and gave it 110%, but unfortunately this included a trip on their player as he broke for goal. Despite a wall the resulting free kick soared over the head of stand-in keeper Woo, just to show that not only Jock keepers can be beaten unexpectedly. With the sides even, the game got niggly with Grasshoppers indulging in unnecessary gamesmanship, all disregarded by the apparently visually impaired referee. The Captain was incensed as one GG's free kick was blatantly delayed and was soon in the book for swearing, with several mores cards issued before the game finished. The second half continued in the same vein with Brett missing a couple of chances, while at the other end O'Neill pulled off heroics to thwart Grasshoppers, and tempers flared on both sides as patience with the referee wore thin. Finally the game finished all square, but the result was immaterial as the GG's pondered the tragic loss of an ex-Captain and trouped off to Wanchai to drown their sorrows and tell a few famous Kev stories.
GG's 1, Grasshoppers 1.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




If you do not know the password and are an an Old Boy/Staff of St Augustine's please contact the webmaster

Optional Extras
Link URL (eg
Link Title (essential if above link URL entered)--------:
Image URL (eg

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ St Augustine's Old Boys Message Board ] [ FAQ ]